This program has filled. Be sure to join our mailing list for information regarding our fall, spring, and next years summer programs
What new and exciting career choices will exist when you graduate and enter the workforce? That is the question which PVNET internships help answer!
Each year we offer an incredible one of a kind internship program for students with a meaningful goal. This is not an exercise – it’s a real world professional project which will serve a very important purpose to the residents of the Palos Verdes Peninsula Community.
The broad scope of technologies and skill building opportunities in this internship will expose many new emerging career interests with a high probability of guiding students towards their career choices.
Register early to avoid missing out on this summer academic high tech opportunity.
Internship / Course Information:
- Students will build a base unit UAV (unmanned Aerial Vehicle) quad copter and learn about this technology.
- Students will evaluate possible design improvements, have the opportunity to design/modify parts, print new parts using 3D printers, and test their designs.
- Students will be introduced to the concept of intelligent aerial machines/robots.
- Students will receive an overview of digital mapping and it’s global application.
- Students will work to build an advanced & specialized UAV which will be used to record high-resolution geographical aerial images and GPS data of an open space area in Rancho Palos Verdes.
- Students will participate in processing the GPS referenced aerial images and data to generate high resolution georeferenced orthophotos, detailed DEMs, and topographical 3D models.
- Students will then work to incorporate the georeferenced orthophotos into PVNET’s Geographic Information System (GIS) database and base maps which are utilized on a daily basis by the City of RPV Public Works, Planning, and other Depts.
- Students will process the captured data for 3D mapping, data analysis, and modeling purposes.
- The 3D topographical 3D models which the students create will become candidates for 3D Printing for visualization and presentation purposes.
- Students will work with industry professionals.
- Upon completion, students will be invited to attend and present their project to the RPV City Council during a regularly schedule council meeting.
- Some students will produce a video documentary as part of their internship. These students will receive mentoring in the areas of video production and editing.
Photo and Video Release: parents of registered students agree to a Photo and Video Release for their child to be used .
- Age 14 and older
- Must have basic computer skills and be able to use Microsoft Windows.
- Interest in any of the following: technology, engineering, video production, 3d design, 3d printing, geology, geography, cartography, exploration, UAVs/multirotor copters, CAD software such as Inventor, open source software programming, robotics, 3d animation, AVID video editing systems.
Summer Program Dates:*
- Start date: 6/16/2014
- End Date: to 8/22/2014
* Vacations? No problem. Our small class sizes and plentiful lab time make it easy to catch up..
- All of your Internship hours qualify for community service hours.
NUMBER OF SEATS:
- 30 seats are available – (seating is limited)
- PVNET reserves the right to place students in Group 1 or Group 2.
SCHEDULE FOR GROUP 1 and GROUP 2
Classes: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
GROUP 1: Class Time: 1:30 to 4:30
GROUP 2: Class Time: 5:30 to 8:30
Thursdays 9:00am – 12:30pm
Saturdays 10:00am – 1:00pm
Thursdays 2:00pm – 5:30pm
Saturdays 1:00pm – 4:00pm
THANKS TO ALL OUR SPONSORS: